Friday, September 28, 2012

Changing E book Pricing


A time for a change 
I always wondered from the day I set my first book to 99 cents, should I ever change it to 2.99 to see what would happen.  I have my novels on Amazon and Smashwords so  I assumed all I would need to do, would be go to Amazon and Smashwords and change my prices.  As I've said in the last post, boy was I wrong.

Amazon Price Matching
Amazon was easy to change, I just switched it to 2.99 and went on my way, but what I quickly learned was that they price match. Street Justice Charlie's Angel was still coming up as 99 cents.  I had no idea why because I'd changed my prices on Smashwords and Amazon.  Well Smashwords had not contacted all of their retailers and it seemed like they were taking a long time to do so.  I decided after a few weeks to start contacting them myself.  

Red Tape
I emailed Smashwords about four times over about a two month period.  I even contacted several of their retailers, some of them changed the price for me and others said no.  They told me that although that was my book on their shelf, they couldn't change it until they'd heard from Smashwords. I don't recall who told me what, but it was not a happy experience.

Finally 2.99
I know it took them some time, but finally one of my emails to the fine folks at Smashwords hit it's mark and my book magically appeared on line at all Smashword retailers and it then appeared on Amazon for 2.99.  I'm not saying that the folks at Smash did anything wrong, it's just a tedious process and I'm sure they have lots of people wanting their prices changed. I'm just saying be careful when you set a price anywhere. Think long and hard about what you want your book to be sold for, because if you change your mind it may take you a while to get the price to change.

The new price
After all of my hard work at getting Street Justice Charlie's Angel up to the price of 2.99 I'm more than likely going to lower it back down to .99 cents.  It is my first novel, and I really consider it a giveaway to get noticed, and to be found among all of the authors that are out there.  

Sales did drop in half
Though I am making the same amount of money that I was while I kept the book at 99 cents, I am not gaining the same amount of readers.  I think at this early stage in my career, it is best to gain more readers, than it is to worry about revenue. 

What has been your experience in sales?  Feel free to comment and share your experience.

Samantha Fury
Author of the Street Justice Series

Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog. Mom just got home from getting 5 new stichtes. Here I am going to bed at 6 a.m. Not a good thing. I hope to soon get som...